What is Alive ‘N’ Kicking?
Our Alive ‘N’ Kicking service in Southwark is a FREE 12 week course designed to help families make healthier choices around food and exercise.
Who do we help?
It’s open to children aged between 4 and 17 and uses a variety of techniques to help families increase knowledge and understanding of:
- Physical Activity
- Healthy Eating
- Implementing behaviour change techniques
How Does Alive ‘N’ Kicking Work?
- 12 weekly classes held virtually with a laptop from home at designated times between Monday and Thursday.
- nutrition workshops for parents around topics including portion sizes, label reading.
- Fun, Active classes for children to learn and make friends.
The education we provide for families and carers on how to prepare healthier meals, allows them to become more familiar with a wide range of fruit and vegetables and cooking methods. We explore sensory aspects of food to help overcome fussy eating and build confidence with parents and children alike. By the end of the programme our aim is to give families practical skills to empower them to make long term healthy lifestyle choices.
Alongside helping to encourage the children and young people to adopt a different approach to their eating habits, Alive ‘N’ Kicking also concentrates on increasing physical activity. Each week, the participants are taken through a range of games and activities to help them move more and increase their fitness. The families are also encouraged to become more physically active outside of the classes as part of the long-term behaviour change goal.
Who can Take Part in Alive ‘N’ Kicking?
- Resident in Southwark
- Registered with a school or GP
- Children with a BMI above the 91st centile and below the 99th
- We encourage family support and require a parent/guardian to attend with your child under the age of 16.
How can I join Alive ‘N’ Kicking?
Fill in the Get started contact form
Or call 0333 005 0159